Home Forums Iolite User Forum Reading time stamps in Nu .run files

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Lancaster 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Penny Lancaster
    Participant

Hi there,
    I am setting up our Nu Plasma 1 (machine #2!) for Pb by laser, but when I try to import the data into Iolite I keep getting errors related to the timing of each analysis. This morning I got ‘could not import <sample> due to time overlap on one or more channels (“Hg202”)’ (this might not be the exact wording; Iolite froze for other reasons before I copied the warning). Out of the 11 files I was trying to import, this happened to the two samples immediately before standards, when the delay between analyses is the longest. Now I’m getting ‘The sample <sample> was shunted by x seconds to avoid a time conflict’, where x is between 12 and -12, and has been applied to about 3/4 of the samples (but not the standards). The time stamps in the individual files in both cases clearly do not overlap each other, but I’m not sure why/where/how else Iolite thinks they might be colliding.
    I’m running Iolite v.3.0 in Igor Pro 6.36 on a Win7 machine.
    If it helps, this morning’s run was:
    NIST612
    Samples 1-4
    NIST612
    Samples 5-8
    NIST612

and this afternoon’s run was:
    NIST612
    Samples 1-6
    NIST612
    Samples 7-15
    NIST612

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
    Penny Lancaster

P.S. Thanks for the instructions and patch for creating Nu format files, by the way – although I still get ‘<time>: The shortcut file “<shortcut>” did not contain enough channel names to load this file. Import aborted.’ on the first attempt every time I create one (and I promise I put the correct number of column headings into the table)…

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Penny Lancaster
    Participant

Quick update – found a screen grab with most of this morning’s error message visible (missing bits indicated with ….):
    ‘The sample <sample> was not loaded due to a time conflict with existing d…. channel(“Hg202”), somewhere between 27/04/2015 (2…. 27/04/2015 (2) 14:08:00’
    Hopefully that makes more sense to you than me!
    Best,
    Penny

Dr Bence Paul
    Keymaster

Hi Penny,

One of the issues with the Nu Plasma .run files is that the time stamp doesn’t include seconds. So if you start your sample at 9:15:54, it will be recorded as 9:15. When iolite tries to import your data, the actual start time could be off by up to 59 seconds. iolite always checks to make sure you won’t have overlapping values for your data, which is what might happen if one samples ends at e.g. 9:20:10 and your next sample starts are 9:20:50. This is why you see that “shunting…” message. If it finds an overlap*, iolite tries shifting the data backwards and forwards looking for a fit where there’s no overlap. In your case, it appears this is not working.

Would you mind zipping up some example files and sending them to us at support@iolite-software.com? That way, we can see in the code where things are going wrong.

Bence

*Only for Nu Plasma data

Penny Lancaster
    Participant

Hi Bence,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Our files do appear to have seconds printed: “27/04/2015″,”04:22:08 PM” from one of yesterday’s files, for instance. The selected date format in Iolite is dd/mm/yyyy hh:xx:ss. Many thanks for offering to look at the files; they will be on your way shortly.
    Best,
    Penny

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.