Home Forums Iolite User Forum Problem creating format file for Nu Plasma .run files.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr Bence Paul 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

DHolder
    Participant

Hi Bence,

I have a problem trying to import Nu Plasma .run files from U-Pb LA-ICP-MS analyses

I am unable to save the format file: I create and assign the appropriate channel names e.g. U238, U235, Pb207 etc. and ‘_skip_’ for columns with no useful information. When I press done i get a “Function Execution Error” which says “While executing Save, the following error occurred. no symbolic path of that name”.

Kind Regards,
    David

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

DHolder
    Participant

Hi Bence,

I have copied the global procedure file across, and that seems to allow me to create a format file. After creating, when I try to import a .run file i get the error: “Failed to extract either an element or mass from “N=’_skip_'”. Import aborted”

The procedure “StoreNu_TR_ChannelMetadata_2()” aborted with the following message… (Full RT stack is: Butt_ImportButtonHandler;LoadNu_TR_File;StoreNu_TR_ChannelMetadata_2;) “Failed to extract either an element or mass from “N=’_skip_'”. Import aborted”

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Kind Regards,
    David

P.S I have emailed you a .run file

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  DHolder.

Dr Bence Paul
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with this issue. I have found the issue in the Nu Plasma importer and fixed it so that now it should be able to handle the skipped columns gracefully.

An updated version of the importer is available here. Make a backup of your iolite v3 folder before you download the file, and quit Igor Pro. Then unzip the downloaded file and put it into the Global Procedures folder within your iolite 3 folder. It should overwrite the existing file of the same name. Then restart Igor Pro and you should be using the latest version of the code.

This fix will be available in versions of iolite greater than v3.0.

Please let me know if it doesn’t work.

Best regards,
    Bence

DHolder
    Participant

Hi Bence,

Thanks for your help. I am now able to import my .run files. I am now stuck on the DRS. I am trying to run U/Pb geochronology, but when i try to crunch the data after setting up my baselines and samples, i get an error:

“while executing a wave read, the following error occurred: couldn’t find the given dimension item label %FinalAge206_238 in wave ‘m_Baseline_1′”

Two things: I did an automated baseline identification based on the beam intensity. Secondly, when i look at the individual channels there seems to be almost no discernible data, only the first (‘U238’) channel appears to show anything really. I dont see why this is. Any ideas what im doing wrong?

I have emailed you a copy of the experiement as this may be easiest to work on.

Thanks again for your help,

Kind Regards,
    David

Dr Bence Paul
    Keymaster

Just to follow up on this issue, there was a problem with the raw data that we sorted out. It ended up not being an import issue… this time!

BP

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.