Home Forums Code snippets Normalizing trace elements DRS

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Shitou Wu 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Dr Joe Petrus
    Keymaster

Hello all,

Bence brought it to my attention that some people were interested in a trace elements DRS that could normalize to some % rather than using a specific internal standard. Such a DRS can be found here: http://www.japetrus.net/tenorm/Beta_TE_Norm.ipf

It’ll let you select which analytes to use in the normalization, what percent you want to normalize to, and whether you want to normalize the elements or oxides to that number. It doesn’t let you pick which oxides though — that is hardcoded (but changeable) and just a matter of commenting/uncommenting to switch between Fe2O3 and FeO.

It is a bit rough around the edges, but I’ve used it for sulfides, oxides, and silicates, and it seems to work reasonably well. At least any of the checks I had available were returning reasonable numbers. I should add that it is based off an old TE DRS and some of the settings may be a bit confusing (or simply wrong and/or ignored). For example, it has the selector for standardization type, but you must put it to SQ and it doesn’t have a thing for LOD and just forces “Pettke”. Also index channel is used for masking, but not for standardization.

I’m not sure which version of iolite is required. It’ll certainly work with the latest. If it doesn’t work on earlier versions it probably wouldn’t be too complicated to back port.

Anyways, I hope this will help someone!

Cheers,
    – Joe

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Shitou Wu
    Participant

Dear Joe,
    I am Shitou Wu, working in LA-ICP-MS lab in institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
    I am very interesting that Normalization DRS code, however I could not download it via the link you post. Could you kindly send the DRS code to my email address (shitou.wu@mail.iggcas.ac.cn).

Really thanks!

Cheers!
    Shitou

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.